Sleights Institute, (as it was originally known) was built in 1910 by George Wilkinson (photo on the left) at a cost of approximately £650 and was used as a reading room. The caretaker lived down in the cellar. The foundation stone was laid by Robert Elliot Pannett (1834-1920). A commemorative stone masons mallet and trowel are on display in the main hall.
During the First World War, Sleights Institute became a Red Cross Hospital for wounded allied soldiers. They were cared for by Dr. T. H. English and his wife, who supervised the Red Cross nursing staff, VADs. We have an extensive photographic archive of the hospital in the 'Gallery'.
The room that is now the 'Gallery' was opened in 1927 as the village library, and was manned by volunteers.
(Click on photos to enlarge)